Washing Soda has several uses. And you can even make your own. You can go here to see how.
1. The main thing it was made for, a detergent booster. It helps increase your detergents cleaning power to get out ground in dirt and stains. (Add ½ a cup with detergent at beginning of wash cycle).
2. It helps neutralize and eliminate odors in your laundry, not just cover them up.
3. Gets out tough stains such as Perspiration, collar and cuff, Mustard, Chocolate, Blueberry, Cola, Meat & grease splatters, Oil, Make-up, Blood Grass, & clay. (Fill container with warm water add 2 Tablespoons washing soda per gallon of water or ½ cup per washer. Presoak at least 30 minutes before washing. For best results presoak overnight and then add ½ cup washing soda with the detergent in wash cycle.) This is the recommended amount I usually use a little more.
4. Help keep traps and drains open. (Dissolve ½ cup per gallon of warm water. Run hot water down drain followed by washing soda solution then flush with hot water. Do not use on clogged drains).
5. Use in Homemade laundry detergent.( 1 cup washing soda, 1 cup borax, 1 cup baking soda, 1 cup grated soap (homemade, or fels naptha,) optional 1 cup oxi clean, 1/3 cup purex crystals or essential oils. Use 3 tablespoons per load).
6. Clean Pots and Pans with stuck on grease or burned on stains. (Put a thin layer of washing soda on pan, spray on water with a fine mist sprayer until a paste forms and let sit for 20+ minutes then scrub off. Do NOT use on aluminum pans.)
7. Water Softener (add to laundry or where ever you need to counteract hard water).
8. Clean bathroom tiles, if your bathroom tiles don’t look clean even after cleaning, hard water buildup could be to blame. (Mix 1⁄2 cup washing soda with 1 bucket warm water. Wearing gloves, wash the tile with your washing soda-water mixture, then rinse the surface.)
9. Hard water deposits in your coffee maker (Add 1 Tablespoon washing soda for every 8 ounces of water your coffee pot holds. Run it with the washing soda where the coffee grounds go, then run it two or three times more with just hot water to completely rinse.)
10. Clean hard water spots ( make a paste of washing soda and water on a damp cloth and scrub till the spots are gone).
11. Make your own dish soap ( heat up 4 cup water with one bar of grated Ivory soap (or homemade)1/4 cup vinegar, 2 Tablespoons washing soda. Optional a few drops essential oils stir until dissolved let cool and pour in container with a pump or squeeze top such as an old dish soap container).
12. Clean slippery moss off sidewalks (Sprinkle washing soda on moss add a little water to form a paste and let sit for a couple days. Then rinse off with hose to clear away moss and washing soda).
13. Clean oil & grease stains off concrete floors (Sprinkle washing soda on stain add a little water to make a paste let sit overnight. The next day scrub the area with a brush then hose down the area and wipe clean.)
14. Clean dirty blinds ( Fill bathtub with warm water add 1 cup washing soda put blinds in water and let sock for at least 30 minutes. Spray or wipe down then rehang) You can also add ¼ cup washing soda to 2 quarts warm water and wipe blinds down while they are still hanging.
15. Clean nasty carpet stains. (If you have a real bad stain in your carpet sprinkle washing soda on stain and let sit for a few hours then vacuum up. Check in a test spot to make sure it won’t discolor your carpet).
16. Clean your grill (dip a moist stiff bristled brush in washing soda and scrub grill grate. Rains and dry. If real bad you can soak it in a mixture of washing soda and water.)
17. Clean your oven (mix ¼ cup washing soda 1 cup baking soda 1 Tablespoon dish soap and add hot water to make a thick paste add a few drops vinegar coat your oven surfaces with the mixture and let sit overnight. Wipe off and rinse with warm water. Be sure not to get on the heating element).
18. Make you own dishwasher detergent (Mix 1 cup washing soda ½ cup grated bar soap and ¼ cup citric acid. Place a scoopful in the detergent compartment and use vinegar in the rinse compartment
19. Make your own scoring powder (Add 1 cup baking soda, ½ cup salt, and ½ cup washing soda mix well and put in a container with a shaker top.)
20. Make your own all purpose cleaner ( to two cups warm water add 1 teaspoon borax, ½ teaspoon washing soda, 1 tsp liquid soap (I like dawn) put in a spray bottle and shake before use. You can add some essential oils if you like.)
21. Getting old wax or things like mop and glow build up from the floors (Make as paste of water and washing soda and spread where you need to strip, wear gloves.Depending on how heavy the buildup it may take a few hours to overnight.)
22. Clean your vent hood (Just sprinkle a little washing soda on a damp cloth and wash the grease off inside the vent hood. You can also soak you vent filter pads in a solution of warm water and washing soda to clean the grease out of them).
23. Keep trash cans fresh (sprinkle a little in the bottom of the trash can every few weeks and add a little to the bottom of your trash bag when you change bags.)
24.Plucking feathers from birds (a little washing soda added to the hot water soaks through the feathers to make plucking easier).
Do you have any other uses for washing soda?